Sally Van Eycke's Twitch

Sally Van Eycke's Twitch
Twitch.tv/g0d5m15t4k3

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Eyeshadow: silver & black with crease

A lot of ladies ask me how I do my fantastic eye make up. It takes practice, so one big thing I can recommend is to do it more often. I try to do my makeup every time I go out. I usually don't wear eyeshadow at all to work and even when I do, its usually subtle. This is pretty dramatic. It will also take time to do, so factor in how long it normally takes and then add about 20 minutes. The more unpracticed, the more time you want to give yourself so you don't get frustrated.

Here I am with my finished daily-wear base makeup:


Pretty bland and boring. My eyebrows look like crap. Yes, I've covered most my flaws but I don't really look enhanced either.



You'll want to start with an eyeshadow primer. I use Urban Decay as previously mentioned in past posts. Dab and smooth a spot of that on your entire eyelid and let it dry before starting on the eyeshadow. You'll also want a fairly large hand mirror. I use the one that comes in this Urban Decay Vice Palette. You need this if you want to lean over and put your shadow on to keep it from falling on your cheeks. Some people tape off their eye (lol I tried that once with terrible results) or tap the brush off a lot after loading up the eyeshadow (yes I tap a bit off, but I don't want to waste my eyeshadow!)


Start with the lightest color on the browbone:


This is Aspen Summit No 23 by Sephora.


Next, load up your second lightest color. This is Cover Girl Dream Eyes #222 Quad.


Put this on.. basically the rest of your lid. Don't concentrate it on the outside and crease.


Now for the lighter of your two dark colors. This is Sally Girl White Chocolate 388715.


Apply that to the outer edges of your eyelids, up to the crease and about 1/3 to 1/2 way across your lid. This is where that big hand mirror comes in handy. Since the other colors were lighter, you won't (if you are white) have to worry about the shadow falling onto your cheeks. With the darker colors, though, set the mirror on a flat surface and lean over and apply your color. Its lazy and works!


Now for your darkest color. All the other colors you can apply with a standard oval brush, but for the crease I highly recommend a small, angled brush. This is Urban Decay Oil Slick.


Make sure you tap out excess eyeshadow before applying. It will give you a better line. Work slowly. There is no rush. Yes, it kind of looks like you drew on your crease with an eyeliner pencil. That is good definition! You'll make it less drawn on in the next few steps.



This is a nice base. Now you basically go over it all again and make it richer. In the first round, I used a fluffier oval brush. This one is a lot thinner so as to give me better control. Again, start with the lightest and work to the darkest. Same as before.





This is where you change it up. You've done your two light colors and now onto the dark. I then actually do the Darkest color. Yes, I made the black even blacker by going over it a second time. Your final color application will be the lighter of the two dark colors. You take that thinner oval brush right into the black of the crease to help blend it out and over your lid. 



Now Eyebrows! I used to pluck the ever loving hell out of my eyebrows. I'm going to be one of those old ladies with drawn on eyebrows. I'm not even that old and right now, I still advocate filling in your brows a bit. I have green hair, so I picked out my Urban Decay Graffiti. Use either the smaller oval brush or even a small angled brush. Something you have good control over.


You can see how much of a difference this makes:


The bottom eyelid, we've been mostly ignoring you. Here you use a pencil liner on the waterline (inner eyelid). A lot of people have to pull their lower lid down to apply this. Sure, go for it. You'll also notice I made sure to use the lightest shadow (same thing as the brow bone)on my inner eye where my tear duct is. The silver on my lower lid all across and swept under the black. And I used the small angled brush to take a tiny bit of that black into my under eyelid about halfway across.


Now on to this awesome creme eyeliner. I used the eyeliner brush that came out of my L'Oreal HIP Creme eyeliner. But this color is Ebony by Glo.


I usually start working from my outer lid and then to the inner since I only line like 3/4 of my eyelid. I go back and fix the cat eye after I have a nice dark line.


Here you can see the difference between lined and unlined.


I usually like Maybelline's Blackest Black, but this Avon wash off waterproof in black W01 isn't bad at all. I like how Maybelline washes right off (but stains your washclothes). The Avon is harder to wash off, I usually use an eye makeup remover. I recommend Almay gentle eye makeup remover pads. I like the brush on both the Maybelline and Avon. NOTE: don't pump the brush in and out. That only serves to dry out your mascara. Once is good enough.


Applied!



Lips. This looks silvery but it is really mostly clear with tiny flecks of silver. This is ancient Bonne Bell Lip Sheers in Glistening Glaze 9b. I like it because it smells like vanilla.




And Finally, you are done. Well, put on your clothes and then you are fantastic:




No comments:

Post a Comment