Sally Van Eycke's Twitch

Sally Van Eycke's Twitch
Twitch.tv/g0d5m15t4k3

Friday, August 16, 2013

Green to Red

So I stripped what I could of my green out of my hair in order to go red finally. Red is my old stand by, I will always return to it. Also, Dragon*Con is coming up and I only cosplay redheaded characters. Sally, Jessica Rabbit, Kim Possible, and Sexy Lady Hunter S. Thompson. Uh, that last one is a cross play and was bald. I can do what I want with my hair for that!



So here's the laughable mess of greeny-gold hair I started with. I have it clipped all up into different sections. Top will be bold red, sides will be orange, back/underneath will be a brownish red-orange. I guess you could call that auburn. Shut up.






You have to prep your dyes before getting really into it. The below is actually a pic AFTER I had already dyed my hair. I was sure to have redundant amounts of everything just in case I needed more than anticipated. It is never fun to have to make your hair dying experience two separate jobs or having to force someone to run out and buy more hair dye for you. Always get more than you think you'll need. I cut it very close with this. I was scraping the bottle in hopes to not have to mix up more hair dye. I made it, but only just barely.

Left:
L'Oreal Excellence HiColor in Red Hot
L'Oreal Excellence HiColor Highlights in Red

Right:
L'Oreal Excellence HiColor Highlights in Copper
L'Oreal Preference Mega Reds in Dark Intense Auburn Red

Top:
L'Oreal Preference after color conditioner (came in a box color that my mom gets)



Not pictured are the vinyl gloves, processing cap, applicator bottle, Salon Care 40 Volume Creme Developer I used. Also the butterfly clamps from before, a wide tooth comb, 2 hand towels, 1 washcloth, rubbing alcohol, 1 hair chopstick & roll of toilet paper. I'm really considering getting a color key because those High Lights colors are thick as hell and very difficult to get out of the tube without uncrimping the wrong end and making a damn mess.

I  started with the copper on the sides. Clipped those up, and then did the underneath. The hair chopstick comes in handy when mixing the highlights colors. Again, they are really really thick so in order to make sure they're mixed in well, I have to use the chopstick as a whisk. They sell haircolor whisks, but I'm not quite to the point where I want to get one yet. Also considering a hair color mixing tub instead of a bottle because it might be easier to dump onto my excessively long hair.

Here it is all colored, clipped and in a processing cap:


I let this sit for about an hour after everything was done.  Back:



To rinse it out, I unclipped everything and used the tub spigot first. Be sure to keep your eyes tightly closed, this stuff is seriously harmful chemicals! I used warm water. Once I got the bulk of it out, I stood up and turned the shower on. I used the wide tooth comb to comb out some tangles first, then applied some of my usual conditioner. I used this and the water to get all the knots and tangles out. Once it was pretty combed out, most of the hair dye was rinsed out & I applied the fancy color locking conditioner. I used almost that entire tube on my hair. Its fantastic, I love it. I combed that through and let it sit in my hair for as long as I could. I used my big hair clip to clip it up wet. To pass the time in the shower, I washed the hair color off the shower walls & tub, brushed my teeth, washed my face & body and just as my hot water was running out, did a final rinse of my hair in pretty cold water. Followed that all with putting it up in a towel.

After a bit, I took the towel off, combed it again and let it air dry. A shot while it was still wet after the towel:






My hair seems to look best when air dried. Blow drying removes all the curls. And I'm mean enough to my hair as it is. Fantastic Back shot once mostly dried:


And the front:


And when it is twisted it looks super cool. This is how you can preview what it will look like when it is braided:



Hope you had fun seeing my process and have inspired you to have awesome hair too!

No comments:

Post a Comment