Sally Van Eycke's Twitch

Sally Van Eycke's Twitch
Twitch.tv/g0d5m15t4k3

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Maybelline vs. Avon

So I blogged in the past how I've been using this Avon washable waterproof mascara my mom had given me. I liked how it wasn't clumpy, it looked natural. But I really didn't like how it washed off and I never liked how (not) dark it was. I compared it to my old standby, Maybelline in Blackest Black (oh so goth! I know!) But I've finally come to the end of the Avon's life and am back on my usual mascara. So now I can do a for real side-by-side comparison. And I think both brands have something they could do better....






There on the left is the Avon, on the right the Maybelline.

I gotta give it to the Avon, I love their applicator brush way better. Its thicker, has more bristles, and the bottle squeegees just enough off. The Maybelline, not so much. I find I have to wipe part of it off on the inside even after taking it out of the tube. It's also not as easy to apply (goopy!) because the brush isn't as nice.

But... Maybelline is totally super black. It is NOT natural. And I actually love that about it. Mascara makes an amazing and appreciable difference when compared to naked eyelashes. I have to say, if I were allowed to only wear one makeup item, it wouldn't be foundation or concealer, it'd be mascara. It doesn't hide part of you, it enhances it.

Both kind of suck about washing off and I'm not sure which I hate more. The Avon comes off all clumpy and flaky all over your face in the shower. You really have to scrub it to get it all off. Kills your eyes. Equally, the Maybelline makes you have the most epic raccoon eyes that ever did happen. If you can conjure up the image of a ridiculous drunk woman crying, that's what this stuff is like every time you go to wash it off in the shower. And it stains the ever loving god out of whatever washcloth you choose to use. Both are technically "washable" but seriously, make your life simpler and just use eye make up remover.

I guess if you are going for natural, or think you might cry for some reason, go for the Avon. If you are going out at night and want bold, noticeable eyelashes (and don't want to put falsies on), go for the Maybelline. It might be time for me to experiment with other mascaras, though... both have shown me what the other is lacking. I've gotten some Sephora samples but so far, nothing has blown me out of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment