Sally Van Eycke's Twitch

Sally Van Eycke's Twitch
Twitch.tv/g0d5m15t4k3

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review on Urban Decay as a makeup brand

Overall, I have to say I love Urban Decay as a makeup brand. I am especially a fan of their eyeshadow and eyeshadow primer. I even introduced it to my sister and now she doesn't know how she's lived her life without their shadow primer. But they have a lot of other awesome things too! I just happen to love their eye stuff...

Here's my current stash of their products:

Naked, Naked 2, Vice Palette, various eyeshadows and  Deluxe Eyeshadow, primers and pencil shadows.


Flavored Body shimmer stuff.




As you can tell, when I said I like their eye products, I wasn't lying. The only non- eye stuff (and well non-body glimmer stuff) I currently have are two samples. One of their lipstick in Sellout. And a lipgloss in Naked. I always get their emails with offers for fun new stuff. And I always try their samples when I get them, I just haven't much moved on from what I know and like. I'm a bit intrigued by their new lip pencils though...

So here's why I love them! The Deluxe Eyeshadow (which is on SUPER discount right now) goes on velvety smooth and is very highly pigmented. The same is true of their regular eyeshadows, but it used to be the Deluxe shadows were more brilliantly colored. They have a fantastic selection now, though, of the normal shadows. And they now sell the normal shadows at the same price the old Deluxe ones used to be sold at.

I was kind of hesitant at first when I bought the Naked palette but I figured I needed something to wear to my office job. I was not disappointed. That's why I bought the Naked 2 as well. They pretty much go with anything and everything. You can make the colors in the Naked palettes work for day or night. I ended up getting the Vice palette because I wanted brilliant colors and a big mirror to take to conventions but when I didn't feel like sorting through the mono shadows. Speaking of conventions, I almost can't go to a steampunk convention without bringing either Naked or Naked 2 with me.

I really love their body shimmer stuff because it actually tastes good (no longer a product you can buy). Needless to say, I don't use this often but I do wear it to the bar and invite my friends to lick me. Similarly, I only usually wear lipstick to the bar. I've found the samples I have to be pretty nice but honestly have not much use for a full size product. The lipstick (also no longer a product you can buy) is in fact quite creamy and doesn't ruin my lips though the color they sent me doesn't quite suit me. I guess they just came out with a new lipstick. Can't wait for a sample in a dark color, maybe the color F-Bomb. The lipgloss is delicious smelling and tasting (minty!) and is alright for the office without looking like a hussy.

I can't tell you how much the eyeshadow primer has changed my life. It makes even my crappy Cover Girl colors look fantastic. It keeps the shadow looking densely colored, longer lasting, and crease free. For the most part, I mean everything has its limits. If I drink all night and sleep in it, it's not going to look stellar the next day. But you shouldn't be sleeping in your makeup anyway! For shame!

I see their vintage 24/7 eye pencils are on super sale as well... But I already have most of these in shadow form, so I don't know how necessary a liner would be. I don't usually just wear liner. Though I do just wear shadow. Maybe. I really love their eyeshadow pencils. I mean, love them. They make putting eyeshadow on so easy and lazy its not even funny. You can blend them right after you smooth them on. Once they dry, its as if you mixed your eyeshadow with your primer. They just don't seem to smudge or come off all day long. I am a constant eye-rubber too, and it still doesn't come off. Speaking of, I'd really like to try their liquid liner, but just haven't had the money to get something I hardly wear. Maybe a basic black is in my future though.

I might also mention the brushes that came with the Naked & Naked 2 palettes are fantastic. With Naked I got the Good Karma Shadow Brush. This thing is so nice, I use it for mostly all of my colors not just the palette. It's easy to load up with shadow and apply over all of my lid and does a good job for cutting the crease. The Naked 2 palette came with a double ended brush. On one end is what I think is the Good Karma shadow brush again (but in this instance, it wasn't nearly as full of a brush head. I don't know what is up, it seemed to be missing hairs/fibers/whatever, I don't like it.) and the other end seems to be a Good Karma Crease Brush. I assuredly don't use it for my crease, but I do use it for my brow bone and all over lid color. I wasn't as nearly happy, overall, with the brush that came with Naked 2 compared with the Naked... but if you buy the brush alone, its like half the cost of the palette. I wouldn't mind another Shadow Brush.

I haven't tried any of their foundations or powders because I am hesitant to switch from L'Oreal True Match which works so well already. I have a problem finding stuff that does all of these: matches my skin tone, covers enough, doesn't clog my pores, comes off easily in the shower but doesn't rub off during the day, and doesn't look cakey/fakey. That's a lot of factors and without getting a full product and trying it for a good long week, I don't think I'll change. I need to be sure it works for me to buy it. I'm also a skeptic when it comes to face primers and sealing sprays. That just sounds like clogged pores waiting to happen and I can't risk it.

Overall, I encourage everyone to try Urban Decay. The one product I'd recommend for all is the eyeshadow primer potion. It simply is amazing. If you can't afford anything else, get this. It will make all your cheap drug store shadows so much better. My second vote would actually be for the good karma shadow brush. Yeah, its expensive, but you can use it with everything else you have already.







No comments:

Post a Comment